by Nathan Stout (of AccordingToWhim.com)
** Updated 5/5/13 ** Check at bottom.
My coworker Jonathan showed me a new iPhone app called Jurassic Park Builder by Ludia. It is a park management game where you find amber, decode the DNA, hatch the eggs and make money off of dinosaurs on a ‘new’ version of Jurassic Park that John Hammond is making (psst, we won’t mention that John Hammond died in the first book).
It’s a fun game with some name behind it. It is free and as with all free apps you can find ways to spend money on it. You collect money by tapping on your dinosaurs but you if you need more money you can spend real money to buy some game money. There are also ‘dollars’ that you collect (very slowly). You can buy these with real world money too.
Here is a screen from it:
You can clear land (for a cost of course) and then clear miscellaneous bushes, rocks, and boulders from the cleared forest. You gain XP for doing this and you might find a piece of amber. You can then try to decode (for a cost of course) the DNA to have the new dino available for purchase (for a cost of course). Rinse, repeat.
The dinosaurs can also be upgraded. You tap on your 2 food harbors and pay to have either meat (for your meat eating dinos) or grass (for your herbivores) brought in. You then can feed your dinosaurs and they will eventually level up. This makes them look a little different and they can gain more money. Every 10 levels you have to ‘evolve’ them to level up. This takes them off the park and you must basically try to decode the DNA (like you do when you find amber). It is very expensive (and I am not totally sure it’s worth the cost).
- The way to make the money to get what you want is to build up your bonus percentages (via decorations). They can double (and more) the amount of money any dino gives you.
- Always buy food. Keep those docks working 24/7. If you want to maximize what your dinos can earn you will need to feed them to upgrade them. It takes ALOT of food.
- Save up 100 ‘Dollars’ to buy the meteor crater. It gives 30% bonus. This is basically the only thing I have ever spent my dollars on.
- Buy the ‘Bridge Over Pond’ it give you 6% for 97,000. This is the best deal per percentage point you can buy (and it covers a large area).
- Buy the ‘White Fern Tree’ too. It’s only 30-something thousand and gives you 3% points. This is what you can surround your most profitable dinos with to push that money making over the top.
If you are going for the money route don’t bother with roads or laying out the park like a park. Just jumble all your dinos together (around all the decorations) so you can get the most out of each of them.
Thanks for looking at this blog! Please follow us and if you are interested, please help us produce our own game at: RiseOfTheRockStar.com by donating to our Kickstarter Project when it starts on May 17th!